Company: Dr. Richard Izquierdo Health and Science Charter S
Posted on: March 15, 2023
MATH TEACHERClassificationNon- Exempt, 10-Month EmployeeReports
toHigh School Assistant Principal and Math Lead Department
TeacherPrimary FunctionDr. Richard Izquierdo Health & Science
Charter School is seeking certified and experienced Math teachers
to provide instruction to our middle and high school students.
Under the general supervision of the Assistant Principal, Math
teachers work collaboratively with other teachers within their
department and across other content areas.Desired
- NYS certification in Mathematics -required
- At least 2 years prior teaching experience in middle/high
- Demonstrated success working in non-traditional and/or urban
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Experience with educational technology (SMARTBoard, student
- Willingness to learn and grow professionallyResponsibilities1.
Content Knowledge and Planning
- Exhibit an understanding of and skills relevant to the subject
- Demonstrate an ability to make topics and activities meaningful
and relevant to each student
- Integrate available technology resources compatible with
students' needs and abilities
- Develop lesson plans that are clear, logical, and sequential
using Understanding by Design principles
- Plan with the appropriate specialist(s) to differentiate
instruction to meet the needs of all students2. Instructional
- Link present content/skills with past and future learning
- Effectively use various instructional strategies (e.g.,
modeling, cooperative learning, collaboration, and reading and
writing in the content areas) to differentiate learning for all
- Effectively use questioning strategies to engage students and
- Monitor students' understanding of the lesson and adjusts
teaching when appropriate
- Maximize student learning by providing opportunities for all
learners to participate actively and successfully
- Explain content and demonstrates skills in a variety of ways to
meet the needs of all students
- Hold each learner individually responsible for learning3.
- Use results of a variety of assessments to monitor and modify
instruction as needed
- Effectively use both teacher-made and standardized tests, as
appropriate, to measure student performance
- Use oral, non-verbal, and written forms of student assessment
- Organize, maintain, and use records of student progress to make
effective instructional decisions
- Continuously monitor students' progress before, during, and
after instruction, and provides meaningful feedback
- Demonstrate competence in the use of acceptable
grading/ranking/scoring practices in recording and reporting
student achievement4. Student Communication and Rapport
- Use precise language and acceptable oral expression and written
- Articulate clear learning goals and instructional procedures
for the lesson to the students
- Model caring, fairness, courtesy, respect and active listening
- Model concern for students' emotional and physical well being
- Seek and maintains positive interactions with students in all
- Seek information about student interests and opinions5.
- Enforce the school's student behavior policy
- Communicate clear expectations about behavior to students and
- Actively monitor student behavior and provides feedback in a
constructive manner to students and parents
- Create a physical setting and establishes routines that promote
learning and minimize disruption
- Structure transitions in an efficient and constructive manner
- Manage emergency situations, as they occur, in school
settings6. Professional Demeanor and Development
- Maintain a professional appearance and deportment.
- Interact with colleagues and students in an ethical and
- Carry out duties in accordance with established policies,
practices, and regulations.
- Select appropriate channels for resolving concerns and
problems, and maintains confidentiality.
- Complete all classroom and school assignments and
responsibilities in a timely and effective manner.
- Participate in professional growth activities including
conferences, workshops, course work and committees or membership in
- Explore and apply knowledge and information about new or
improved methods of instruction and related issues.
- Identify areas of personal strength and weakness and seeks the
improvement of skills and professional performance.7. School
Community and Culture
- Initiate communication with parents or guardians concerning
student progress or problems in a timely manner.
- Respond promptly to parental concerns and encourages parental
involvement within the school.
- Interact with parents and the community by providing useful
information regarding the school.
- Work cooperatively with community members in carrying our
school and community-sponsored functions.
- Build collaborative relationships with colleagues, sharing
teaching insights, and coordinating student learning.
- Serve on school committees and supports school activities.
- Contribute to the development of the profession by serving as a
teacher, mentor, peer coach, and/or supervisor to practicing
teachers, student teachers, or interns.
- Support school goals and initiatives.Skills and Abilities
- Plan, organize, develop and conduct a comprehensive teaching
and instruction program
- Provide appropriate and effective learning experiences for
pupils from a wide range of achievement levels
- Effectively assess the instructional and educational needs of
pupils, and design, develop, and implement sound instructional and
- Provide a motivating and stimulating learning environment
- Perform research and development activities pertaining to
curriculum and instructional programs
- Follow safety procedures and written and verbal instructions
- Work effectively with staff, students, and public
- Make independent decisions
- Work autonomously within school established guidelines and
- Organize tasks, set priorities and meet deadlines, manage
- Demonstrate good judgment and good problem-solving skills
- Direct and instruct others
- Respond appropriately to evaluation and changes in the work
- Knowledge or ability to use SIS (student information systems)
or online learning platforms (Schoology, Google Classroom,
PowerSchool, and Canvas)Supervisory ResponsibilityThis position has
no supervisory responsibilitiesPhysical DemandsWhile performing the
duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and
hear. This position is very active and requires standing, walking,
bending, kneeling, stooping, crouching, and climbing. Specific
vision abilities required by this job include close vision,
distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception,
and ability to adjust focus.Position Type and Expected Hours of
WorkThis is a full-time 10-month position. The regular hours and
workdays are Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 4:00 pm in addition
to any special events to which all staff is expected to
attend.TravelMinimum to no travel requiredEEO StatementDr. Richard
Izquierdo Health and Science Charter School provides equal
employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for
employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type
without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin,
disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual
orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other
characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This
policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including
recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff,
recall, and transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and
training.Powered by JazzHR
Keywords: Dr. Richard Izquierdo Health and Science Charter S, New Rochelle , Math Teacher, Education / Teaching , Bronx, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...