Senior Engineer, Gas Asset Engineering
Company: NATIONAL GRID CO USA (NE POWER)
Posted on: November 26, 2022
National Grid is hiring a Senior Engineer for our Gas Asset
Engineering department in Melville, NY.
Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities,
and businesses. We are there when people need us the most. We
connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The
pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our
expertise and track record put us in an unparalleled position to
shape the sustainable future of our industry.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers,
reducing the cost of energy delivery today and pioneering the
flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on
our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both
ourselves and our business.
Gas Transmission Engineering (GTE) provides the expertise and
engineering to oversee National Grid's Gas Transmission System via
the principles of Asset Management. Our group includes people with
knowledge and experience that can gather and utilize asset
information to support better decision-making. We are responsible
for approximately 1000 miles of high-pressure natural gas pipelines
operating in New York State, including approximately 500 miles of
Department of Transport (DOT) transmission pipelines. GTE must
evaluate and balance cost, risk, and performance over the lifecycle
of our assets.
Asset Management requires continual re-balancing and optimization
of cost, risk, and performance. Factors influencing our
optimization activities include: risk appetite, business
constraints, regulatory requirements, and strategic priorities.
The transportation of natural gas via pipeline remains a highly
regulated industry. We are governed by the Federal Department of
Transportation (DOT), The Pipeline and Hazardous Material Safety
Administration (PHMSA), as well as the New York State Public
Service Commission (PSC).
Integrity Verification Program (IVP) Team
The core of our business consists of asset management; risk
management; data management; design review; strategy and planning;
decision-making; management of change; and code compliance for
pipelines designed to operate at pressures in excess of 124psi.
The IVP team develops and implements policies, work methods,
construction standards, and material specifications to ensure
compliance with federal and state regulations, technical codes and
standards, industry best practices, and our overall business
objectives to operate the gas system safely, reliably, and
The Integrity Verification Program, following federal and state
rules and regulations, includes the review of the material,
welding, and pressure testing records; and the development of
methodologies to address gaps in records of existing transmission
pipelines by 2035. Integral to our Integrity Verification Program
are Material Verification (ref 192.607) and MAOP Reconfirmation
Relevant Industry Standards to our work include but are not limited
- ASME B31.8
- ASME B31.8s
- API RP 1173
- API 1104
- API 5L
- NACE SP0502 Pipeline External Corrosion Direct Assessment
- NACE SP0102 In-Line Inspection of Pipelines
- IAM Asset Management - an Anatomy By adopting these standards
and practicing a risk-based approach to managing our assets and
operations, we self-imposed a rigorous guide for how we inspect,
evaluate, and invest in our systems and people. In line with our
values, we seek to identify opportunities for
improvement-continuously finding a better way-and share our
internal and external findings to ensure the safety of our system
- Identification of pipeline risk and development of mitigation
- Engineering review and analysis of integrity related system
- Maintain register of existing pipelines and corresponding
- Regulatory reporting on pipeline assets
- Review and approve specifications, work methods, and policy
- Perform risk management and risk modeling
- Verification of as-built project documentation
- Participate in process safety assessments
- Coordinate Class Location studies and HCA analysis
- Support field assessment of gas transmission pipelines
- Execute Management of Change Program
- Coordinate Material Verification Program
- Coordinate MAOP Reconfirmation Program
Supervisory/Interpersonal- Experience Required
- Able to travel overnight outside of your normal work area as
- Able to work overtime including nights/weekends/holidays for
emergencies or special projects
- Able to work both independently and in a group
- Desire to work in a diverse environment
- Interest in a combination of office and field work (90/10
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Minimum of 5 years experience in Gas Pipeline Safety/Gas
- A Bachelor's degree in Engineering (Mechanical, Civil, or
Material Science) from an ABET accredited program/engineering
school is required
- Professional Engineering (PE) License or EIT Certificate
- Knowledge of Cathodic protection or NACE certification
- Knowledge of pipeline welding practices or AWS certification
- Experience in Data Management is desired
- Experience in Risk Management is desired.
- Experience in Asset Management is desired.
- Experience in Safety Management Systems is desired.
- Knowledge of National Grid's business operations, company
policies and practices desired
- A working knowledge of Title 49 CFR Part 192 and Title 16 NYCRR
Part 255 is highly desired.
- Knowledge of industry practices of the transportation of
natural gas by pipeline preferred
- Experience performing Probabilistic Risk Assessments
- Experience with GIS (ESRI, Arc-Fm; Arc-GIS) preferred.
Salary: $110,000 - $129,000 a year
This position has a career path which provides for advancement
opportunities within and across bands as you develop and evolve in
the position; gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and
applying technical skills. Internal candidates will be assessed and
provided offers against the minimum qualifications of this role and
their individual experience.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad
diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster
a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver
superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is
proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage
minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected
veterans to join the National Grid team.
Keywords: NATIONAL GRID CO USA (NE POWER), New Rochelle , Senior Engineer, Gas Asset Engineering, Engineering , Syosset, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!