Director of Social Services
Company: Children's Rescue Fund
Posted on: January 24, 2023
PRIMARY FUNCTION/PURPOSE:The director of Social Services is
responsible for the development and delivery on comprehensive
social services to clients referred to Children Rescue Fund by the
NYC DHS-Division of family services designed to stabilize homeless
families by strengthening their independent living skills and
achieving their rapid and successful placement into permanent
housing. They will serve as a member of the management team that
works cooperatively to achieve program goals.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES: -
- The Director of Social Services is directly responsible to
ensure that each member of social services staff has hands-on
working knowledge of all DHS procedures, New York State Part 900
Regulations, OTDA, CRF Rules and Regulations, and all other
relevant laws/programs related to providing comprehensive social
services and permanent housing to CRF clients.
- Ensure the timely collection, preparation and analysis of
client and program information to generate routine and as needed
reports, to evaluate program performance and to facilitate short
and long-term planning.
- Oversee and supervise Social Services department (Caseworkers,
Housing Specialist, and Casework Supervisors) on the utilization of
the DHS Client Assistance and re-housing system (CARES) regarding
intake, shelter assessment, service plans/independent living plans,
Provider Housing, transfers and client responsibility, incident
reports, case conferences, meeting DHS housing placement
- Ensure that the families are living in a safe, clean and hazard
free environment by ensuring that the casework staff are conducting
weekly/bi-weekly unit inspections. Communicating and documenting of
all observations and maintenance repairs that need to be
- Intervene or direct staff intervention in appropriate
situations to resolve problems effectively.
- Work collectively with the Housing Specialist to ensure that
weekly, monthly, and quarterly targets are being achieved.
- Must be knowledgeable of DHS Housing programs, packages, and
- Work in collaboration with other departments (security,
building operations, CCCs, Childcare departments) to develop
independent skills workshops.
- Coordinate an interagency network of both on and off-site
providers to ensure families' receipt of appropriate medical,
nutritional, educational, and specialized mental health
- Work in collaboration with the Executive Directors to develop
and implement social service policies and procedures to guide and
direct the delivery of services, including relocation goals and
- Perform other duties and special projects as required including
- Evaluate and verify employees work assignment and ensure that
performance evaluations are being completed in the required
timeframe. -SECONDARY RESPONSIBILITIES:
- -Facilitate effective communication with other staff within an
interdisciplinary context, participate in and contribute to staff
meetings and the development of policies and procedures.
- Participate in training and staff-development activities to
acquire and maintain both interpersonal and operational skills
necessary for successful job performance.
- Serve as a Super User in the DHS CARES System to assist the
program staff with trouble-shooting problems in the system.
- Ensure that staff attends CORE trainings within (6) months of
employment, such as the mandated reporter training, CARES getting
started, CARES assessments, Incident Reporting, Safe Sleep
Training, Mental Health First Aide Training and Domestic Violence,
- Director of Social Services must be on call 7 days a week for
Priority one incidents. -MEASUREABLE AREAS:
- Closely monitor open/closed Public Assistance cases on a weekly
- Closely monitor certified (housing) and high-income
- Closely monitor all apartments viewed/visited by clients weekly
(in the absence of the housing coordinator)
- Closely monitor and track appointments kept/missed,
specifically as it relates to ILP's and housing related matters (in
the absence of a casework supervisor and/or housing
- Work towards the achievement of DHS weekly, monthly, and
quarterly target goals of moving families into permanent housing in
conjunction with social services department.
- Closely monitor special population such as newborn, ACS,
medical, mental health, and domestic violence case, up to sex
offenders. -PRINCIPAL RELATIONSHIPS:
- -Frequent significant contact with paid and volunteer staff
designed to ensure effective performance and professional growth.
- Regular contact with other department personnel and providers
to ensure program services are effectively delivered to
- Regular contact with clients on complex issues that require
expertise or processing by a senior professional.
- Regular significant contact with other agencies to ensure
clients receive needed services. -MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:Education:
- Master's degree in Social Work preferred, however a bachelor's
degree is accepted with (4) years of supervisory
experience.Experience: - Five years social services experience and
two years' experience in a supervisory and administrative capacity,
including experience in clinical interventions with families and
disadvantaged populations, group work practice, substance abuse
issues and housing programs. Related Skills: Skill in supervising
the work of professionals including their development. - Skill in
securing client entitlements through knowledge of housing
regulations and homeless programs. - Excellent interpersonal
relations skills to establish cooperative working relationships. -
Excellent written and oral communication skills. - Knowledge of
office systems; MS-Office preferred. -Other Requirements (including
Physical Demands): -May be required to work long hours and a varied
schedule. -Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Keywords: Children's Rescue Fund, New Rochelle , Director of Social Services, Executive , Bronx, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!