Director, Patient Care
Company: Northwell Health
Posted on: January 24, 2023
The Patient Care (PC) Director assumes 24-hour responsibility for
multiple units within a designated service line(s) for the overall
assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation of patient care
on the service. The position is critical in carrying out the
system, hospital and nursing service mission, vision, values. As a
key stakeholder, the Patient Care Director plays an integral role
in the development and execution of the overall strategic plan. The
emphasis of the plan includes growth and business development,
along with the goal of obtaining top quartile clinical, fiscal and
patient care outcomes for their area of responsibility. With a
focus on creating a healthy work environment, the Patient Care
director promotes the health system service standards and creates a
highly engaged, patient focused, caring environment that addresses
the needs of patients and their families in an individualized
manner. The Patient Care Director functions as a key clinical
leader who communicates regularly with the physician leader and
departmental administrator. He/she fosters an environment of
collaboration and respect with interprofessional colleagues and the
entire health care team.
- The Patient Care Director participates in the creation,
communication, and execution of a shared vision among their team to
align organization goals within their service line.
- Collaborating with internal and external customers, the
Director serves as a brand ambassador within the organization and
community to promote the organization's mission, vision and
- The Director champions a culture of trust, respect,
collaboration and teamwork to build relationships across units and
departments to promote constructive dialogue, creativity and
- Upholds Culture of C.A.R.E., Northwell Health's promise to our
patients and families, to create a culture of connectedness,
awareness, respect and empathy.
- The Director exhibits and fosters behavior that emulates the
hospitals mission, vision and values, and creates a leadership
culture that promotes a healthy work environment. Utilizing a "just
culture" approach to accountability, the Patient Care Director
ensures, through their management team, that staff feel safe to
admit mistakes, report problems, and take ownership of their
- The Director establishes themselves as an integral member of
the Senior Patient care Services leadership team.
- Using influential leadership, the Patient Care Director has the
ability to inspire individual and service level excellence, create
and attain a shared vision and successfully manage change to
implement the organization's strategic plan and successfully
achieve top level outcomes within their area of oversight.
- The Director ensures consistency in execution of systems and
processes to provide the safest and highest quality of patient and
customer centric care within their service line (s).
- To facilitate manager succession planning, the Director creates
a structure to promote leadership development.
- The Director works closely with CNO to develop and
operationalize the vision and philosophy for nursing practice
across the organization, creating a dynamic professional
environment predicated on integrity, respect, shared decision
making and lifelong learning.
- Through involvement in professional organizations specific to
their service line (s), the Director engages and impacts nursing
practice on a local, regional and national level.
By fostering a milieu which blends appreciative inquiry, evidence-
based, caring, compassion and ethical practice, the PC director
promotes a high level of professionalism for their service
- The Director takes proactive steps to remain current in their
knowledge of various regulatory and professional standards of care
and takes an active role in ensuring compliance through policy
development and review of practice.
- Nursing management and staff are empowered by the Patient Care
Director to develop quality/performance improvement programs and
implement innovative evidence-based strategies consistent with
regulatory and legal standards.
- In collaboration with the CNO, the Director contributes to the
overall nursing departmental strategy and develops, shapes and
aligns their unit and service line (s) with the overall
- The Director works with their management team to develop,
oversee and monitor all department operational performance metrics
to achieve higher levels of performance.
- Director should be actively involved with budget development
including supplies and services needed, staffing levels to meet the
needs of the patients in the service line, and capital requirement.
Need to build the business case for their service line.
- The Director monitors financial performance of their service
line(s) through review of budgetary and revenue variances together
with the service leadership and communicates to department and
- Performs related duties as required. All responsibilities noted
here are considered essential functions of the job under the
Americans with Disabilities Act. Duties not mentioned here, but
considered related are not essential functions.
- Master's Degree required.
- Bachelors or Master's degree must be in nursing.
- Current license as a Registered Professional Nurse, plus
specialized certifications as needed.
- At least 8 years nursing experience with evidence of least 3 of
those years progressive leadership experience at the Manager level
*Additional Salary Detail
The salary range and/or hourly rate listed is a good faith
determination of potential base compensation that may be offered to
a successful applicant for this position at the time of this job
advertisement and may be modified in the future.When determining a
team member's base salary and/or rate, several factors may be
considered as applicable (e.g., location, specialty, service line,
years of relevant experience, education, credentials, negotiated
contracts, budget and internal equity).
Keywords: Northwell Health, New Rochelle , Director, Patient Care, Executive , Plainview, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!