Safety Trainer Supervisor-Nassau County, NY
Location: New Rochelle
Posted on: January 22, 2023
Overview:Hiring Immediately for a Safety Trainer Supervisor in
Garden City, NY Starting Annual Salary $72,000
The Safety and Training Supervisor provides safety education,
accident prevention, loss control and regulatory compliance at the
Paratransit depot. Duties and responsibilities include, but are not
limited to, coordinating the activities of on-the-job-injury and
light duty personnel, workers compensation and general liability
carriers; accident free and healthy working environment to achieve
effectiveness for the company and insure compliance with all
federal, state, local and company policies, procedures and
regulations. Responsible for the proper training of designated
employees including the safety education, accident prevention, loss
control and regulatory compliance.
This position is multi-functional and may require rotation in
shifts to support other work areas. The work is often a series of
routine and repetitive tasks punctuated with events requiring
focus, attention, and problem solving in short intervals based on
processing information quickly. Decisions made or information
relayed requires clear communications one on one with internal
staff, external agencies or with Nassau County bus customers
onboard or at a bus stop. Incumbents must enjoy using their
knowledge and skill to help others.Responsibilities:
- Ensures new student operators are thoroughly trained in the
safe and efficient handling of vehicles and equipment to exceed
- Formulates and enhances general safety policies, procedures and
practices to be followed and adhered to by company personnel in
compliance with federal, state, local and company safety rules and
- Delivers classroom and behind the wheel training as
- Works with Director of Safety as necessary to develop and
administer local safety programs.
- Maintains personnel and qualification files pertaining to
training, safety and loss matters.
- Coordinates the activities of workers compensation, general
liability and vehicle liability insurance carriers and insurance
consultants as it affects safety and loss control. Monitors
activities and make recommendations to Director to help limit
- Councils bus operators, utility personnel and maintenance staff
concerning company policy and procedures and any pending
disciplinary or training actions relating to safety and accident
- Accountable for ensuring that OSHA, EPA and DOT record keeping
and reporting requirements are met and maintained.
- Conducts periodic, routine, scheduled and comprehensive
inspections of facilities, grounds and equipment in order to
identify any potential safety problems, and works with appropriate
personnel to ensure corrective action is activated if and when
- Assures that safety inspections are properly scheduled, carried
out, monitored, acted upon and documented.
- Supports company bus operators in regard to safety issues,
concerns, problems or challenges.
- Completes behind the wheel and trail check evaluations on
- Accountable for timely accident/incident investigations that
involve company property, equipment and personnel, including
researching internal and external records/reports; accountable for
any inherent actions resulting from such investigations.
- Ensures Operator Development Program (ODP) is followed and
properly delivered to include updates when necessary.
- Performs new equipment familiarization, refresher, and
- May assist with reviews of DriveCam/SmartDrive events,
including counseling of operators.
- Ensures WebRisk reporting is thoroughly completed in a timely
- Organizes and conducts regularly scheduled and special safety
- Performs other duties as assigned.Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree in business management or related field
preferred, or an equivalent combination of education, training and
- 3 to 5 years of progressive experience in public
transportation, training or safety of which 2 years were in a
supervisory or management capacity.
- Must have knowledge of OSHA, EPA, DOT, federal, local and
company regulations concerning safety, hazardous materials,
underground (or exposed) storage tanks, fire protection, risk
management, loss prevention, accident investigation or an
acceptable combination of education and experience related to, but
not limited to these disciplines.
- Must have ability to prioritize, remember details, use
experienced and sound judgment, solve problems, make decisions and
- Must be able to handle crisis situations well, and in a timely
and justifiable manner.
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills to maintain good
working relationships at all levels.
- Must be able to deal effectively with management and policy
matters and their implementation.
- Must be computer literate with experience in operating
database, spreadsheet and word processing software.
- Must possess strong organizational and communication skills, as
well as good writing skills to formulate appropriate reports and
other written communication.
- Must have a thorough knowledge of the surrounding and service
vicinity or possess the ability to learn.
- Must be able to pass an employment physical examination
(pre-employment or renewal) including a substance abuse
- Must possess a valid Class B, passenger endorsed Commercial
- Must be able to qualify as a 19A certified examiner.
- Must maintain an excellent motor vehicle record.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are
representatives of those that must be met by the employee to
successful perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individual with disabilities
to perform the essential functions.
- 70% of work is accomplished indoors and in air conditioned or
well ventilated facilities.
- 30% of work is accomplished outside or in a vehicle.
- Performs physical activities that require considerable use of
the arms, repetitive hand-wrist motion, and legs and moving the
whole body, such as climbing, lifting, balancing, walking,
stooping, and handling of passengers and materials.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee
frequently works in outside weather conditions. The employee is
occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, fumes or
airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals and vibrations.
- Must be able to lift up to 75 pounds.
- Must be able to operate the company vehicle without the use of
DOT prohibited adaptations.
Transdev is the largest private sector operator of multiple modes
of passenger transit in North America, providing bus, rail,
paratransit and shuttle services. We manage over 200 transportation
contracts for cities, transit authorities and airports, providing
safe, sustainable, and innovative mobility solutions. Our mission
is to improve public transportation, to enhance quality of life and
contribute to a more sustainable environment.
For more information please visit our website at
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature
and level of work being performed by people assigned to this
classification. They are not intended to be construed as an
exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills
required of personnel so classified.
The physical demands described here are representative of those
that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the
essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be
made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
essential functions upon request.
Transdev is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and
welcomes all qualified applicants. Applicants will receive fair and
impartial consideration without regard to race, sex, color,
national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic data,
gender identity, sexual orientation, religion or other legally
protected status, or any other classification protected by federal,
state, or local law.
EEO is the Law Poster:
Drug free workplace
If based in the United States, applicants must be eligible to work
in US without restrictions for any employer at any time; be able to
pass a drug screen and background check Associated topics: climate,
emr, environment, hazard, hospital, safe, scba, usda, wastewater,
Keywords: transdevna, New Rochelle , Safety Trainer Supervisor-Nassau County, NY, Human Resources , New Rochelle, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!