**Job Title:** College Assistant - Various Departments
**Job ID:** 22259
**Location:** Bronx Community College
- Under supervision, performs miscellaneous clerical,
administrative, research or other work related to the operation of
a College or other unit where such work is required on a part-time
basis or for a period of limited duration.
- There is one Assignment Level for this position. All personnel
perform related work. This specification describes typical
assignments; related duties may be assigned as
- Maximum tenure for any employee in this hourly position is
1040 hours per year.
- Performs routine clerical work; may answer and attend to
telephone calls; maintain records,
operate office machines (such as copier), sort and distribute
mail, issue keys and identity cards,
act as messenger, and perform related tasks as required.
- Types letters, memoranda, charts, and similar materials.
- Acts as cashier.
- Assists in statistical or research activities. May collect and
compile data, code data for computer entry, perform data entry, and
run computer reports.
- Performs clerical library work, such as sorting and shelving
books, performing data entry into library systems, or binding books
- Assists in instructional programs, including tutoring and
assisting students in areas such as reading and mathematics. May
assist in speech and hearing therapy, provide musical
accompaniment, and/or distribute and collect physical education
- Enters and maintains departmental records such as inventory
control records, rosters, directories, and schedules.
- May operate computers, computer software, and other electronic
equipment in performing assigned tasks.
**CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION**
The Department of Human Resources at Bronx Community College is
seeking College Assistants to work in various departments on
Clerical/General Administrative responsibilities include:
- Greets diverse customers, visitors, and others in a
professional manner; screens visitors and phone calls as directed;
refers people to appropriate staff or to other offices as
appropriate; takes accurate and complete messages; forwards
messages in a timely manner; and maintains bulletin
boards/displays, office literature and computer area.
- Responds to routine questions and requests from clients and
staff; distributes forms and applications; may review returned
documents for completeness; clarifies requests; provides prompt
service; explains need for any delays or additional information;
keeps visitors, clients and staff informed of progress; and returns
calls as appropriate.
- Uses standard computer software and other office technology to
input, format and transcribe documents; makes photocopies and sends
faxes; and may input and format spreadsheets.
- Maintains paper and/or electronic files using established
procedures and retrieves files as requested.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
PLEASE NOTE: Currently enrolled BCC students will not be
considered for any confidential position.
- Must demonstrate sufficient skills to perform the duties of
the assigned tasks.
- Excellent customer service, interpersonal communication and
- Ability to read, write, and speak fluent English
- Ability to take initiative when necessary and willingness to
- Strong computer skills (MS Word, Outlook, Excel and
PowerPoint) highly desired
- Flexible with availability
New Hire: $15.00*
*This amount reflects a 13% salary suppression in effect for the
first 24 months of employment only.
*Compensation is based on department budget.
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and
eligible dependents based on job title and classification.
Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans.
Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour
criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are
also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
**HOW TO APPLY**
Applicants must apply online by accessing the CUNY website at
www.cuny.edu and navigating to the following links: Select
"Employment", then select "Search Job Postings" and find JOB ID #.
Please attach resume. References on request. Please do not include
any other documentation.
For general assistance with your CUNYfirst application, please
go to http://www.cuny.edu/employment/jobsysteminstructions.html for
Resumes will be reviewed until all open positions are
**JOB SEARCH CATEGORY**
CUNY Job Posting: Support Staff
**EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY**
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans
and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included
among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be
discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected
category, including sexual orientation or gender identity.